Wednesday 21 May 2008

How I conquered my mouth ulcers?

Any one who suffers from mouth ulcers knows that trhey are literally a pain. So I thought I'd add my two cents about how I feel I've conquered them.

I get lots of ulcers. Or atleast I used to. I've got one now but I haven't had one for a long time, maybe christmas was the last time. Yet I used to get them all the time. I often had one or two on the go at the same time.

So how did I conquer them? Did I take medicine? I did for ages but I found it just dulled the pain. My favourites were rinstead pastilles but I tried all sorts of things. Thgey said they'd speed recovery but I never actually let an ulcer just run it's course with no treatment so I didn't really know.

Then about a year ago I had a brainwave. I'd always noticed that during the day the ulcer seemd to heal a bit, by the evening it was a lot better then after I brushed my teeth (or there abouts) it got worse. (Light bulb moment) I realised that my ulcers were generally cuts in my gums because I chewed really fast. So I've slowed down how fast I eat. That's helped loads. The biggest help in actually helping an ulcer heal was to put my finger over it when I brush my teeth so the brush doesn't make it worse. Then I make sure I sleep well. This works like a charm. I've had a couple of ulcers since but they've not got serious and have gone really quickly.

The one I have now I'm certain it's down to not sleeping to well and chewing too fast. Why, well we've just got a little puppy. Eight weeks old, the cutest thing you've ever seen. Of course it's thrown my routine out the window and my bodies knackered. I genuinely feel that it's like builders who haven't finished. You're body marks what work is left to do but it has to shut down healing until a later time because it can't complete it during busy hours.

So I feel I'm not paying much attention to my chewing cos I'm watching the puppy, as you do, and I know I'm not sleeping so well cos I'm knackered. Guess what I get most ulcers at christmas when my daily routines go out of whack so I don't sleep and I eat so much food so quickly I'm bound to bite my gums.

Any way the point is that I'm eating fine. I haven't changed my diet yet I hardly get any ulcers. I have improved my sleep, stopped chewing so fast and found ways to protect the ulcers. but I havne't spent any money doing so I've just been practical and let my body deal with things in its own way and helped it along the way by sleeping well.

Ok I can tell I'm ranting but it feels good:-).

No comments: