Thursday 9 October 2008

How do you manage your energy stores?

This is just a quick thought building on some of my previous posts. A big problem with Type 2 Diabetes is a person ability to manage the sugar they eat. Their insulin response is far too high because their body no longer responds to normal amounts so it has to over compensate.

Exercise has been shown to help with this. Great, but can you do anything about it without exercise. I'm wondering about it, particularly after reading a little about intermittent fasting. I don't know if all the claims are true but when I step back and just consider what I said at the start of this article, one thing becomes clear.

Wouldn't it be useful if you could train your body back into responding to insulin in a normal way. By just fasting every so often you force your body to make do with what energy sources it has. It puts a strain on your body. If you just skip one meal and make up for it when you do eat then you're not really going to have any problems long term. But it says to your body that it shouldn't be wasteful.

That's often how I look at it. Exercise helps because it creates a huge demand for all types of energy so the body has to figure out how to keep all the organs happy rather than just the brain and stomach and a few others. This pressure forces it to be efficient and not be wasteful and so conserve rare resources like carbohydrate and use richer energy sources like fat.

By this logic a fast can do the same thing in theory. Anyway I'm trying it out. Nothing drastic. every meal I skip I make up for it later as I get an excuse to pig out. I'm also ensuring I eat nutrient rich stuff regularly.

Just thought I'd provide an update on what I'm looking at.

No comments: