Friday 26 March 2010

Gamers expect intuitive introductions, not manuals

I prefer the idea that new software and applications should teach you themselves how to do basic tasks. I'm used to this because I grew up playing computer games. Games are designed for children. Children can't or won't read big manuals. They just want to play the game. Normally the first few levels of any game are designed to teach you the skills to reach the next level. So learning and teaching are built in. You're not expected to ask any one else for help.

I also see it another way. It's just fantastic customer service. The experience is designed entirely around the user.

So I've been wondering how far this has come across in the web. I'm pleased to find that, atleast ini web games, this is still true. I've gotten into Farmville and Social city recently for this exact reason. I'm enjoying the idea that by seeing how games are now brought to the web I can remember what a great user experience these created,. it then gives me basis for what I want to bring to the applications I build.

I just got reminded about this because I just tried a new game out Super City that went through a whole bunch of events and guided me the whole way. They highlight each icon they want you to touch, exactly where you should place an item and basically explain everything.

Just wanted to record that the amazing and intuitive introductions I was used to as a child gamer are now becoming common, atleast for gamers, of any age on the web. So let's see how long it takes for this to permeate all software.

No comments: